fbpx
 

Martello Towers in Mauritius

The Martello towers are widely known because they exist in various parts of the globe, especially on the English coast, in Canada, in Jamaica and in Sri Lanka. In total, one hundred and three Martello towers were constructed throughout the world by the English between 1810 and 1846, to defend the British under the dominion of a possible landing of French troops, the enemy of always.

Martello Tower place to visit in Mauritius

The Martello towers of Grand Riviere North West, Preneuse, Belle Mare and Port Louis are the four remaining towers of the five towers built by the English in 1834.  A masterpiece of ingeniosity made of raw sculpted stone, Lime and teak, among others. It took three years to complete the construction of these five towers, a height of 30 feet, a diameter of 43 feet on the outside and 28 feet on the inside making a wall of 11 feet thickness.

Erected at strategic points on the island, one at Fort George in Port Louis, two at Grande Riviere North West and two at Riviere Noires, these towers were designed to be defense points in case of attack. The building is divided into four levels; The basement or the officers stored water and food, the ground floor where the powder magazine was located, the first floor was used as a sleep-rooms and kitchen for the soldiers and the roof sheltered cannon. However, none of the Martello towers was used during a battle. Hence the disappearance of Fort George and Fort Victoria, between 1880 and 1902, following the development of the Port.

With the development of Port Louis in the 20th century, the Great Northwest River Tower served for many years of warehouse for ammunition and explosives of the SMF. That of the Preneuse, she, has been transforated into a museum. Inside, the guide explains the internal structure of the building. The sub-base is divided into three parts, which you can see through the windows placed in the floor. The rainwater is harvested and kept in a large reservoir which occupies two thirds of the subsidence. The rest of the level is occupied by the powder magazine and the pantry. Finally, on the roof of the tower, a 24-pounder gun is mounted on a central pivot. The barrel could turn 360 degree to reach its target or it is. The scope of this type of cannon is 2km!

Towers, thus built by the British to defend themselves from the French.

FRENCH VERSION:

Les tours Martello sont mondialement connues car elles existent dans différents endroits du globe, notamment sur la côte anglaise, au Canada, en Jamaïque et au Sri Lanka. Au total, cent trois tours Martello on été construites a travers le monde par les anglais entre 1810 et 1846, pour défendre les cote sous domination anglaise d’un éventuel débarquement de troupes françaises, l’ennemi de toujours.

 

Les tours Martello de Grand Rivière Nord Ouest, de la Preneuse, Belle Mare et de Port Louis sont les quatre tours restantes des cinq tours construites par les Anglais en 1834. Un chef-d’œuvre d’ingéniosité fait de pierre taillées et brutes, de chaux et de teck entre autres. Il aura fallu trois ans pour terminer la construction de ces cinq tours, d’une hauteur de 30 pieds, d’un diamètre de 43 pieds à l’extérieur et 28 pieds à l’intérieur ce qui fait un mur de 11 pieds d’épaisseur.

Erigées dans des points stratégiques de l’île, une à Fort George à Port-Louis, deux à Grande Rivière Nord Ouest et deux autres à Rivière Noires , ces tours avaient pour but d’être des points de defense en cas d’attaque. La construction est divisée en quatre niveaux ; le sous-sol ou les officiers stockaient l’eau et la nourriture, le  rez-de-chaussée ou se trouvait la poudrière, le premier étage servait de dortoir et de cuisine pour les soldats et le toit abritait des canons. Cependant aucune des tours Martello n’aura servi lors d’une bataille. D’où la disparition des tours de Fort George et de Fort Victoria, entre 1880 et 1902, suite au développement du Port.

 

Avec le development de Port-Louis au 20eme siècle, la tour de Grande Rivière Nord-Ouest a servi pendant de nombreuse années d’entrepôt pour les munitions et explosifs de la SMF. Celle de la Preneuse, elle, a été transformée en musée. A l’intérieur, le guide vous explique la structure interne du bâtiment. Le soubassement est divise en trois parties, que vous distinguez à travers des vitres places dans le plancher. L’eau de pluie est récoltée et gardée dans un grand reservoir qui occupe les deux tiers du soubassement. Le reste du niveau est occupe par la poudrière et le garde-manger. Enfin, sur le toit de la tour, un canon de 24 livres est monte sur un pivot central. Le canon pouvait tourner 360 degree pour atteindre sa cible ou qu’elle soit. La portée de ce type de canon est de 2km !

Des tours, donc construites par les britanniques pour se défendre des Français.

No Comments

Post A Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.