Île au Phare, also known as Île aux Fouquets, is a rocky island on the Grand Port Bay, east of the main island of the Republic of Mauritius and in the immediate vicinity of the Vacoas islet. It is one of the country’s national parks.
Ile Phare was amongst the first ones to be discovered in 1598 by the Dutch settlers.
The island bears its name by virtue of a lighthouse built in 1864, which was still operational until beginning of the 20th century.
Historically, Ile au Phare, situated within the bay of Mahébourg has fulfilled a strategic purpose during the naval battles at Grand Port.
A few tips by Mauritius Explored: